Who doesn't love dessert? The problem is most desserts are loaded with added sugar that can not only be challenging if you're trying to eat healthier, but can also be tough on teeth. Here are three easy recipes with no added sugars for when you want dessert without the guilt.
Peach Ice Cream
This refreshing dessert is perfect for a summer night on the patio, and it couldn't be easier as it only takes two ingredients! It's also dairy-free.
- 2 cups of frozen peach slices
- ¼ cup of coconut milk
- Diced peaches or mint leaves for garnish
- Place the frozen peaches in a food processer for four to five minutes or until the peaches begin to break down.
- Add the coconut milk until the peaches take on a creamy, smooth texture similar to soft-serve ice cream.
- Spoon the ice cream into bowls and garnish with diced peaches or mint leaves, if desired.
Recipe from YuriElkaim
This American classic can still be delicious without all the added sugar.
- 1 9-inch pastry crust (try to choose one with only flour, butter and salt as ingredients)
- 4 cups of thinly sliced apples (a sweet variety like Honeycrisp) with the skins removed
- 1.5 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- ¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9.5-inch round tart pan with oil.
- Press pastry crust into the pan; fold down the edges and press them to the sides. Place in the fridge while you prepare the apples.
- Mix the apples, cinnamon, lemon juice, apple sauce and cornstarch in a large mixing bowl until the apples are coated evenly.
- Add the apple mixture to the crust. Optional step: layer the slices in a pattern for a more refined look.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the edges of the tart are golden brown.
- Let cool completely and then serve.
Recipe from Jennifer Tyler Lee
Pineapple Lush Cake
This fruity, refreshing cake is perfect for summer without added or processed sugar!
- 1 sugar-free yellow cake mix (along with the eggs, oil and water needed to make the box mix)
- 8 ounces sugar-free whipped topping
- 20-ounce can of crushed pineapple in juice (undrained)
- 1.5-ounce box of sugar-free vanilla pudding mix (just the mix, don't actually make the pudding)
- Bake the cake according to the box in a 9-by-13 cake pan and allow it to cool completely.
- Stir the dry pudding mix, whipped topping and pineapple together in a mixing bowl.
- Spread the mixture over the cooled cake right in the pan and place in fridge to chill for at least an hour before serving.
Recipe from Rose Bakes
We hope you enjoy these recipes. Although they have no added sugars, some ingredients such as fruit naturally have sugar. As with all meals, be sure to brush your teeth 30 minutes after eating to keep teeth at their best!
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Norman, call us today at 425-212-1975.